Shopify is one of the most popular e-commerce platforms used by businesses all around the world- and for good reason. Among its many attractive features, it is easy to use, affordable, and comes with a wide range of utility and functionalities that make it perfect for online stores.
But when it comes to search engine optimization (SEO), there are certain things that need to be done in order to improve your Shopify store's visibility and ranking on search engines like Google.
Let's take a closer look at some of the best SEO practices for Shopify.
1. Optimize your product titles and descriptions: When it comes to SEO on Shopify, the product titles and descriptions are the most important elements. Make sure that you use descriptive and relevant keywords in your titles and descriptions that will help potential customers find your products easily. Also, make sure that your product descriptions are unique and engaging, and provide enough information about your products.
2. Use clean URLs: Shopify automatically generates URLs for your products, collections, and pages. However, you can customize your URLs to make them more SEO-friendly. Make sure that your URLs are short, descriptive, and contain relevant keywords. To customize a url on a product, for example, simply scroll to the very bottom of that product page in the admin (/admin/products/producttitle) and click on Edit SEO. These SEO functions will allow you to change the URL handle for any product, collection, or page. In this menu, you can also change the meta description and page title as it is shown by search engines. If you'd like to change the metadata for your storefront, just click on Online Store > Preferences.
3. Use meta tags: Shopify allows you to add meta tags to your pages and products. Meta tags are HTML tags that provide information about your page to search engines. Make sure that you use descriptive and relevant meta titles and descriptions that will help search engines understand what your page is about.
4. Use header tags: Header tags (H1, H2, H3, etc.) are HTML tags that are used to structure your content. Make sure that you use header tags in your product descriptions and pages to make them more readable and understandable for search engines.
5. Optimize your images: Shopify allows you to optimize your images for search engines. Make sure that you use descriptive and relevant filenames for your images, and add alt text to your images that describes what they are about.
6. Build quality backlinks: Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your website. They are an important factor in search engine rankings. Make sure that you build quality backlinks from relevant and authoritative websites.
7. Use social media: Social media is a great way to promote your Shopify store and build backlinks. Make sure that you have social media accounts for your store and that you regularly share your products and content on social media.
SEO is an important factor in the success of any website. Mindfulness and implementation if SEO best practices can improve your store's visibility and ranking on search engines, and attract more potential customers to your store.
For more, check out Shopify's Help Guide to SEO